nternational Students

International students are welcome at our school, however you must first obtain your student visa.  All information and forms for obtaining your visa are at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Student Page.

Designate Learning Institute (DLI) number: O116455095420

At the Calgary Flying Club we work with our International Students to ensure that your needs and requirements are met. You can start flying as soon as you arrive. We have our own fleet of aircraft and we have instructors on staff. The Calgary Flying Club is open 7 days a week. We are only closed on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. Our International Students are full time. As a full time student your flight training schedule will be similar to other Post Secondary education institutions. Your flight training schedule may be 5 days a week, 8 hours a day.

This will consist of studying, flying and Ground Instruction. The timeframe to complete the following training using the above full time schedule as your guide is 9 to 12 months:

  • Private Pilot’s License
  • Commercial Pilot’s License
  • Multi Engine Rating
  • Multi Engine Instrument Rating
  • Night Rating
  • Mountain Rating
If you are interested to train with us, please complete our Application Form. Once you have been accepted at the Calgary Flying Club a CFC representative will contact you to confirm the programs you would like to complete, your estimated arrival date and how long you will be training with us. You will also need to complete an Application to Study in Canada as per Citizenship and Immigration Canada. We require a deposit of $2,500 in order to secure your place. This deposit will be applied to your student account as a pre-payment and will be applied towards the cost of your flight training.

The Calgary Flying Club does not have onsite student accommodation or transportation. There is no public transportation to the Springbank Airport, where we are located. We recommend that our international students acquire an international driver’s licence and purchase a vehicle. CFC staff is available to answer any questions you may have and we assist our students in finding accommodation and or transportation.

Upon arrival in Canada at the Calgary International Airport you will be greeted by a CFC representative. The representative will then accompany you to your pre-arranged accommodation. Our staff is always available to assist our students with information regarding grocery stores, accessing public transport and anything else you may require help with, to enable you to commence your studies as soon as possible.

To obtain your student visa for pilot training, the Canadian government checks that you have enough funding for the following items:

  • Complete your training
  • Accomodations
  • Living expenses
  • Transport to and from school
  • Pay for a return ticket home

The Canadian government will also want to know that you will be returning home after your training.  They need some proof that you will be going home, such as:

  • Family
  • Job waiting for you
  • Expenses (home, car, etc…)

Once you have your student visa, we will set a time with you to talk about licensing, rating, and a time-line in which you want to finish your training.  At the same time we will get you registered and set you up with an instructor and schedule you in for sessions.

Here are links to our various licensing syllabuses:




The CFC can help pilots who are licensed by other countries transfer over to Canadian licensing.

FAA (USA) Licensed Pilots

Transport Canada says:

You first need to undergo a medical examination with an approved aviation medical examiner (go to file and forms we have a list of approved medical doctors). Secondly after you received your medical file number, please complete the application linked here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/general-personnel-apps-1820.htm

Once they have received the application TC will confirm with FAA with your US Certificate and then they will proceed with the application, this can take up to 90 days. Finally as TC is preparing the certificate status you should be preparing for applicable examinations for the licensing you or rating you applied for. This is where we come into play, we can help you get comfortable with the Canadians regulations and get to Canadian standards. We also have practice exams as well you can write.

Pilots from all other countries

For pilots from a country other than the United States, the best way for you to find out what you need in order to get your conversion to Canadian license, is to speak with Transport Canada and ask them what is required. The number you can call them at is 403.292.5227. Once you have gotten an understanding of what you need to do, we will set up a time with you create a time-line to complete everything.


Contact Us

Any Further Questions? Not sure what your next step is?

Please contact us and we will do everything we can to help you get started.
Contact Us