The School 2018-04-05T17:05:22+00:00

Welcome to the CFC Pilot Training Center

Located along the spectacular Foothills of the Canadian Rockies, the Calgary Flying Club has been a hub of aviation activity, friendship and learning Since 1927.

Permits, Licenses, and Ratings

In the tabs below are the most common permits, ratings, and licenses in which CFC offers instruction.  There is basic information about each below, but as always please contact us if you have further questions.

The recreational pilot permit is designed to make flying more affordable. It has fewer requirements with respect to training and affords more restrictive privileges compared to the private pilot licence.

This permit allows a person to fly as pilot of an aeroplane. Either the landplane or seaplane aeroplane class rating is included, depending on which type of aeroplane is used in the training for this permit and the appropriate rating is issued with the recreational pilot permit—aeroplane. This permit can be endorsed with either the seaplane or landplane class rating. Only domestic day flying in a single engine, non-high-performance aeroplane under VFR is allowed. This permit is restricted to single engine aeroplanes designed for a maximum of four people, but with only one passenger.

A pilot with this permit may also act as pilot of an ultra-light aeroplane.

The private pilot licence allows the holder to fly as pilot or co-pilot of an airplane. This is the most commonly held licence in Canada and is generally the first licence earned by the aspiring professional pilot.  Only day flying of a single engine non-high-performance airplane in accordance with VFR is allowed, unless other ratings have been earned.

To earn your PPL, there are minimum training requirements set by Transport Canada:

40 Hours of Ground School
45 Hours of Flight Training
  • 17 hours must be dual instruction, containing a minimum of 3 hours cross-country time, and 5 hours of instrument time.
  • 12 hours must be solo flight time, including 5 hours cross-country flight time. One cross-country flight must be of 150 nautical miles or more, containing 2 full stop landings at airports other than your departure airport.

Where do I start?

Come down and have tour of our facility with one of our friendly frond desk staff.  Get a feel for where everything is and how the club works.  Next get yourself registered while you’re at the club, let us know what types of rating and licensing you’re interested in.  As your filling in the registration form we will set up your first ground briefing with an instructor.  We will also sign you up for the next upcoming ground-school classes.  The Club has year round ground school and it starts every nine weeks.

If you would like some additional information check out the Files and Forms page.  We have course syllabuses online as well as a lot of other useful information.

How long will it take and how much does it cost?

We have covered this in more detail within our FAQ section.  The short answer is, the more frequently you fly and commit to your training, the less time it will take and therefore reduce the cost.

The costs of achieving your license can be as little as $9000, see our Rates page for more info.  Don’t worry this not an up front payment.  You can pay for each lesson at its conclusion, or you can pre-load funds onto your account which makes checkout that much easier.

Tips for reducing cost:

  • Fly as least 3 times a week.  This will help minimize the amount of review required. We find that students who fly once a week need a lot of review, and this in turn means you will spend more on instructor time.
  • Review at home and study before each lesson.
  • Have your Walk-Around and Weight and Balance calculations done before your scheduled session with your instructor.
  • Have a primary and secondary instructor (for the days your primary is not working). This way you have two instructors that know you, understand your strengths and weakness’, as well as your learning style.


Now that you have completed your PPL, or “License to Learn” as many would call it, you may wonder what is next?  Perhaps you want to increase your knowledge of flying, or increase your skill and personal safety.  Or now you are ready to continue your aviation career path and complete the next requirement.  Well then it’s time to get your Night Rating!

Obtaining a night rating is quite simple, not requiring a written or flight test.  Requirements set by Transport Canada are:

  • 10 Hours total instrument time (this includes instrument training time already completed with your PPL)
  • 5 Hours duel training
    • 2 Hour cross country
  • 5 Hours solo training

The difference between a private and a commercial license as a commercial license the pilot is allowed to receive a reward or payment for controlling the aircraft. Basically to be able to work as pilot one must need to have a commercial license. By Transport Canada you need a certain hours in order to complete you license, plus a written and flight exam as well.

Here are the requirements for licensing:

* Must have Category 1 medical

* Valid Private License

* Minimum of 80 hours commercial pilot ground school

* Pass the written exam of 60% (be able to write the exam must have a total of 100 total hours)

* minimum of 200 hours flight time, of which a minimum of 100 hours shall be pilot-in-command time including 20 hours cross-country pilot-in-command flight time

o must do a 300NM radius cross-country

* Must hold a night rating

* 25 hours of solo flight time emphasizing training for commercial

If your still need more information you can look on Transport Canada or give us a call at 403 288 8831.

Once you have your commercial written exam complete you have two years from the date you passed your exam to finish your license. If it is not completed by then you will have to re-do your written exam.

To build up your 100 pilot in command doesn’t need to be done before you do your flight test, you can do your build up after and it does not need to be in all one aircraft. You can take the DA-20, Cessna 152, 172, or the 182.

Come and visit us at the club we can help you get started and figure your goals in completing your licensing and rating.

The CFC offers multi-engine training in our piper twin Comanche PA-30. By Transport Canada there is not certain amount hours needed to complete your multi training but there is a flight test you need to pass. Some of the items are MARA (maneuvering at reduced airspeed), Stalls, steep turn, one engine failures… To find out more what items on flight test will be go on Transport Canada.
The instrument rating allows a pilot to fly in instrument meteorological conditions (IMC), for example when cloud layers obscure the pilot’s view of the ground. An instrument-rated pilot is able to fly and maintain situational awareness strictly by using instruments and avionics. This rating is one of the more complex ratings and is a major step toward earning more advanced licences such as an airline transport pilot licence. It can be added to any aeroplane or helicopter licence and is a requirement for the issue of an Airline Transport Pilot Licence.

The rating may only be exercised for aircraft in the group endorsed. An instrument rating is often combined with other ratings to form a set of piloting privileges. For example, the multi-engine rating is required in addition to an instrument rating to fly a multi-engined aircraft under instrument flight rules.

VFR-Over-the-Top privileges are included in an instrument rating.

The requirements for an instrument rating are the same for both a private pilot licence—aeroplane and a private pilot licence—helicopter. Helicopters certified for IFR operations are generally complex multi-crew and multi-engine aircraft, so a helicopter instrument rating is generally issued in conjunction with other ratings.

Transport Canada issues distinct instrument ratings for each of the following four groups of aircraft types dependent upon the nature of the training for the instrument rating and the associated flight test.

  • Group 1 for multi-engine aeroplanes
  • Group 2 for multi-engine centre line thrust aeroplanes
  • Group 3 for single engine aeroplanes
  • Group 4 for helicopters